Rated a 'Good' school by Ofsted in March 2019
The latest inspection by Ofsted has judged the school to be good
Highlights of the report include:
- The leadership team has maintained the good quality of education in the school since the last inspection.
- The new Head teacher has re- established and strengthened a culture of high expectations.
- Staff told inspectors that they feel happy and supported.
- Checking judgements with external partners has given leaders a strong understanding of the areas needing improvement and has led to a number of initiatives. These include the setting of clear expectations for teaching. The quality of teaching is improving and pupils recognise this.
- The previous inspection report identified inconsistency in middle leadership. The head teacher and his senior leadership team have prioritised the development of this group, providing bespoke leadership and curriculum training.
- Safeguarding is effective.
- The Safer Schools police officer plays an active part in the life of the school, delivering assemblies to pupils on how to keep themselves safe.
- The school has redesigned the personal, social, health and economic (PHSE) education programme to include topics that teach pupils how to keep themselves safe.
- Pupils report that there are rare incidents of bullying. Pupils are keen to emphasise that bullying is dealt with swiftly if it does occur.
- The school has introduced a greater level of challenge and support for all pupils in their lessons.
- Inspectors observed teaching that was typically strong in English and mathematics.
- Leaders have targeted the performance of boys and Black Caribbean pupils using initiatives such as ‘Key 27’.
- Leaders have implemented systems that allow more rigorous tracking of pupils’ progress.
- Internal progress information shows that the gap between the progress of boys and girls has narrowed, with the gender gap being broadly in line with national figures.
You can read the full report here.
Ofsted report, June 2015
In June 2015 Heron Hall had its first full Ofsted inspection.
We were ranked "Good" across all the key measurement criteria.